Monday, July 16, 2007

Heavy Metal Suicide

I am happy to report that Layla has made it through surgery! She is recovering at the vet's office and we'll know tomorrow if we can bring her home. When Dr. Whitworth went in, he discovered that it was not a needle that was causing the problems. It was a shard of metal that had gone through her stomach and was now completely enveloped by her liver. Layla had
heavy metal poisoning and that is why her red blood cells were down a month ago. All the medicine we gave her must have boosted her system, so that's why we thought she was better. I had decided not to get x-rays in May because she recovered. Whoops! So anyhow, Layla has had a piece of metal in her for about 3 months.

It was when Layla first got sick back in April that she started being really mean to Finnigan. They used to play together all the time. Well, after she "recovered", Layla never really went back to being friendly with him. We're hoping that this piece of metal is the reason, and not just the fact that Layla is a heartless b.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Mai said...

Yea Layla is alive! I'm so glad she's okay! It's things like this that make me think twice about getting a dog since Gavin would just want to take it to a field and shoot it rather than pay for medical care. That's an issue.

Hol said...

I'm so glad to hear that Layla is okay. I hope she continues to get better, and return to her normal self.

emily anna said...

HI!!! Why didn't anyone tell me you had a blog??? We need to hang out soon!
E

Burcham Family said...

Vanessa! I just happened to come across your blog from Holly Dyer's blog. Good to see you! You seem to be doing great - I haven't seen you in MANY years!! Hopefully we can keep in touch via our blogs (what has life come to?!?)